Tuesday, January 27, 2009

So it's been a while...

I apologize for my lack of blog postings the last few weeks.

We just had an incredible service tonight @ the First Church.  It was a Solemn Assembly.  Pastor Shoemake so eloquently delivered the word of God and discussed some things that were in the church.  The conclusion of the service was amazing.  We have been having awesome moves of God the last few services.  The Church is beginning to fill up.  It's great being apart of what God is doing here in San Jose.

A few weeks ago, I think I received one of the most touching displays of appreciation from a young person in our youth ministry.  There is a young person that will remain nameless for Blog Purposes...that has been apart of our Ministry for a couple of years.  This person is the type of person that remains on the perimeters of things.  Very soft spoken. Isn't the Life of the Group.  In fact a young person that is pretty much labeled "one of the quiet ones".  Anyways, we had just concluded a youth event, and everyone was hanging out after talking and goofing off.  I walked by a group of young people where this one particular young person was at.  I said "whats up" to all of them as I usually would.  I had already passed the group and was going into a different room, and this young person ran up after me and said..."Bro West..Bro West".  I turned around and I looked at them, and they looked at me at simply said..."Thanks".  I looked at them, and I just looked puzzled, and they looked again at me and said it again "Thanks Bro West...Thanks".  They turned around and ran back to their group where they were talking.

I didnt know how to quite take it.  I didnt understand.  But then, as I walked away, this young person in their way was saying "Thank you for all that we do for the Youth Ministry".  It was one of the most impacting moments as a youth pastor.  Mind you, I have been in youth ministry for a decade now, and the "Thank You's" are few and far between.  But this young person, someone that I would of never thought, was expressing themself.

There are times that the work of a youth pastor goes unappreciated.  The Life of the Youth Pastor - Overworked, Underpaid, UnderValued, Overlooked, and Used.  But this young person's words of sincerity send me a message that I will never forget.  "Thanks" - I was reminded that all the non glamorous duties, late night cleaning of Youth Centers, hours of preparation for youth events, and all the other stuff that Youth Pastors do - it is all for something.  

This young person made me feel valued.  Thank you to that young person.  It is my goal this year to value and appreciate those that have impacted my life.  

"Thanks...."

-JW

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brother West, I would like to thank you for the wonderful role model you've been to our children. Our oldest son quotes wise things he has learned from you all the time... "Well, Bro West says..." Our family appreciates your continued hard work, dedication to our young people, and zeal for the Lord, more than you will ever know.

 
Clicky Web Analytics