Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Earthquake

Photo of me and my sister when I was 10 years old

It felt like someone was holding our building, gave it one rough shake and let go. It was an earthquake. We have had two so far this morning that were centered 6 miles from where I work. They were 3.0 & 1.4 magnitude.

The California native that I am hates earthquakes, but would much rather have them then hurricanes, tornadoes, snowstorms, etc. You never know when they are coming (the whole "not knowing" works really good for me). While they are happening, I AM terrified, scared, heart racing, looking frantically for a doorway/desk to duck and cover (like I learned in elementary school), but an hour later my fear has been forgotten. I like it that way.

I remember the Loma Prieta Earthquake in '89. I was 10 years old. At the time we were living in a mobile home in Union City. It was so strong that our mobile home moved a few feet forward (with all of us inside), and the car across the street rolled and crashed into our home. It was CRAZY to say the least. We did not have a TV, so I remember going to our neighbors and watching the bridge collapse and the aftermath of chaos as a result of the earthquake. I will never forget it. -LW

1 comment:

Karen J. Hopper said...

Hadn't heard about the quakes. Eeek, and we are headed up to San Francisco for a few days. Oh well, I've been in a whole lot of shaking while living in the Bay area so guess I can "adjust??" to more of whatever.

 
Clicky Web Analytics