Friday, October 24, 2008

United Way/Sacred Heart

As part of the United Way campaign, I was privileged to volunteer at the Sacred Heart Community Center yesterday. The thing that I love the most about working for Johnson & Johnson is their commitment to improving their world. There are a number of volunteer opportunities offered throughout the year. A few that I have been a part of are:
  • Family Giving Tree - wrapping/sorting Christmas gifts for children
  • Tour De Cure - Bike ride to raise money for a cure for diabetes
  • United Way/Senior Center - played games/entertained seniors for an afternoon
  • Second Harvest Food Bank - Food sorting and coordinating a food drive

After yesterday, Sacred Heart Community Center has my vote as the #1 community program in San Jose. No more will I give any donations to any other center (i.e. Goodwill, Savers, Salvation Army). All services offered by Sacred Heart are FREE.

While there I was placed to work in the Clothes Closet. I saw everything from:

  • cars dropping off donations
  • items being sorted (the qualifications being -don't keep anything you wouldn't wear)
  • clothes being hung on hangers (this was my job)
  • then being put out on display
  • and then being taken by "customers"

I literally would go through the bins to try and find the "good stuff" to put out, and in a matter of minutes they would be gone. My eyes watered a number of times (I know....I know....those of you that think I am insensitive are SHOCKED), when the kids would come in and get all excited over a used Spiderman tshirt, or a man asked me if there were any dockers in the bins for him to wear to work, also by watching the disabled man in a wheelchair take tshirts that looked like they had seen better days.

The saddest part of the day (I must admit that a tear fell over this one) happened on the food side of the center. A mother and her baby walked up to the counter asking for formula. The center had given away all that they had, so the mother then went to the water fountain and filled the baby's bottle with water. To think that for however long, until the mother could get formula, the baby would be drinking water.....this broke my heart. I wanted to track her down, find her, take her to the store, get her whatever she needed for her baby. I am sure that if I was working on the food side when it happened I would have totally broken down. I know that there are situations like this all of the time, but for it to be right in front of you, and for you to have the ability to change it.........

When I went home last night I talked with JW about the center. I really want to have our young people volunteer here before the end of the year and am looking at when/what we can do. My hubby has ALWAYS wanted to feed the hungry on Thanksgiving Day so maybe this is the year for us to GIVE.

Once again I feel overwhelmed with all that God has blessed me with. We don't have much, but I am so very, very thankful for it. -LW

6 comments:

James Wilder said...

My company is a huge sponsor of United Way. We just got done with a 3 month blitz of raising funds. Last year I hosted a benefit event on behalf of the company. Through the company, I've had the opportunity to twice participate with Habitat for Humanity, Loaves & Fishes and a cool Science project for inner-city children. It's always a good time and fulfilling. What you really want to do while you're there, is tell them there's more to life and that God loves them. Of course while meeting their immediate needs as well! I'm glad you guys are thinking of doing the T-Day gig. Very cool.

Anonymous said...

My wifey is the bomb. Thanksgiving Day we are serving.

Monica Hassas said...

Really, the story about the lady and her baby just kills me. If it's okay with you, please sign me up to work with all of you on Thanksgiving.

Moni

Anonymous said...

Leah- You have such a tender heart and a sweet spirit. You are a beautiful person. Love you lots.

-95k

Jason & Leah said...

Thanks everyone for your comments.

To 95K - I did not know who you were and had to ask JW. I am literally ROFL at the reasoning behind that name.....hilarious!

LW

Anonymous said...

I remember going to Goodwills for my next outfit...living in the back of a gutted grocery store...your post reminds me of Desperation's song 'Rescue', and the lyrics, 'I need you Jesus, come to my rescue...where else can I go?' We are so blessed. Maybe during our annual Thanksgiving we can incorporate something similar and do something with all of our families...

 
Clicky Web Analytics