Thursday, October 9, 2008

Sunday School Class Part I - Bus Kids





Today I thought I would post about my Sunday School class. A little background (for those of you that do not know):

  • The class is for Teen Girls grades 7th-8th
  • We average 30 girls every week (about half are church girls, and half from our bus ministry)
  • I assist our Pastor's wife, Sis Tasha Shoemake, in teaching this class

If you know anything about our church, then you are aware of the BLUE BOMBER. I cannot begin to tell you how our bus ministry has revolutionized ME. I have been raised in the church my entire life. Never have I had to deal with the following:

  • 14 year old girls getting pregnant (and wanting to keep the baby because "they will get a check for it every month")
  • talking girls out of fighting (I have to admit this one is more due to the fact that I would not want to get hurt trying to break one up..lol)
  • taking class pictures and having to tell girls to "Please put down the gang signs"
  • trying to convince girl's that at the age of 12 they ARE NOT IN LOVE
  • lack of work ethic
  • lack of respect/disobedience to teachers/authority (I have the UTMOST respect for the teachers that have these kids Monday-Friday)

The hardest thing for me is trying to relate to these girl's - because I can't. I don't know how they feel, I can't relate to the things they deal with, I never have felt the pressure's that they feel. For the first time I feel bad that I have always had parent's who I knew loved me, wanted me, made me feel good about myself, and who are still married.

Lately this has been my struggle. I want so badly to know what to tell them, to help them, to change them, to want them to be better people, to want them to live for God....but I don't know how.

I hope that it does not seem like I am complaining, I love working with these kids. I find it challenging and it is continually taking me out of my comfort zone (which I need to get out of anyways). If I had to change something it wouldn't be a bus kid or the way they act, it would be me - that God would help Me to be what they need.

Bus Ministry has impacted my life. It has changed my view of people. It has changed my view of life. It has helped me want to give to those less fortunate - not just for the sake of giving, but because I have met the less fortunate. It has given me more love for people. It has made me appreciate everything a little more. It has made me want to make a difference in my world, my neighborhood.

I am a better person because of it -LW

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome post!! Lately I, too, have been wanting God to change ME to impact my surroundings, instead of changing my surroundings to fit my comfort. Thanks for sharing your heart, Leah!

Karen J. Hopper said...

What a wonderful post. You are touching these girls' lives. Your compassion, kindnesses, and concern is felt by each of them. In the 70s my husband and I were involved in bus ministry (heading the young people's bus) - we would have to dress the children while the moms lay in bed with their boyfriends. We fed them, got lice from them, stopped their fights on the bus, etc. The moms appreciated our care for their little ones. Many children never made the ultimate choice to serve God, but many did. I know of several who went on into the ministry (whether as a preacher, or as a preacher's wife). Precious souls that God allowed me to cross paths with. Leah, you are making a difference - believe me.

Monica Hassas said...

Leah: I believe God has mighty things in store for you and Jason for all of your hard work and dedication. It's a beautiful thing that these girls have someone like you as a role model!

Chandra said...

I hear you loud and clear. The field of social work combined with the hard work of running a Sunday school bus ministry has opened my eyes to a world different than my own. I, too, felt as if I could never relate to my clients, ''my'' bus kids, or their parents. However, I now understand that these kids/parents aren’t looking for someone they can relate to. They need someone willing to admit that they haven’t experienced certain situations, but are compelled to listen. I've found that the sheer desire to lend an ear, helping hand, and a shoulder is more beneficial than being able to nod my head and say, ''Yeah, I know how you feel.''

Never in my life did I think that I would get a call from a parent telling me that their 11 year old daughter was pregnant. Never did I think that I would have 13/14 year old boys cussing each other out and instilling a spirit of fear and hatred on our Sunday School bus. NEVER. Apparently God thinks I’m capable of completing this task, because the situations won’t cease.

I think these girls in your class need to see you as a person who is unwavering and a keeper of your word. They know about the pleasures of the world and are challenging you to show them something different and better. You can and you have! A successful mentor is able to see value beyond the obvious. You're a guiding light and the benefits of your hard work may not be materialistic, but your labors aren’t in vain.

Wow. I talk too much! Anyway, loved this post and I think I’m going to tag onto it on my own blog! :o)

Unknown said...

Leah, i loved this post. . i was up late unable to sleep thinking about all of MY own stresses and fears in life and after i read this post it became very clear to me that its not about me or my problems its about how the LORD will use me to overcome them and who's life i can impact as i do so. . .your post touched my heart and reminded me that our job as servant's is never done and never mastered because we learn as we go and we go as we learn. . .Thank you for sharing this. God bless you in this awesome ministry and he will teach you/us as we go about our fathers business. These young girls are greatly blessed with you as a role model in their life. . . Love you and God Bless. ~Sonia

 
Clicky Web Analytics