Wednesday, April 8, 2009

"If friends were flowers, I'd pick you"

I first met Monica around February 1999. I was working at First Bank & Trust in downtown San Jose. While working there, daily, I would see this "pentecostal" looking girl coming and going as if on her lunch break. One day I ran out of the bank, stopped her and asked her if she went to church. At the time she was attending East Valley Pentecostal Church.

We agreed to go to lunch since we worked so close together. After a few lunch dates our friendship seemed to just "click". She had no idea that at the time I had a secret crush on JW (that is another story in itself), nor that we had gone out years prior. At lunch one day we were talking about my lack of a love life. I think the conversation went something like this:
  • Me- "I am so depressed, I know that I am going to wind up an old maid"
  • Moni-"Don't be ridiculous!"
  • Me- "There are No guys at all at my church!"
  • Moni- "I have the perfect guy for you"
  • Me- "Who?"
  • Moni- "JW"
  • Me- "You have got to be kidding me, I have had a crush on him for months and have not told a soul!"
.......and thus began our friendship and Moni being known as the "Prophetess". I must admit that I took this as a confirmation that JW and I were somehow meant to be...

Looking back over the last 10 years (I cannot believe it has been that long) I am so thankful for her friendship. Besides my husband, Moni knows me better than anyone else....so if you want the dirt on me, she is the one to go to....hahaha

She is someone that always tells me the truth about myself - even if it means I am wrong. She is the one I call when I am feeling like an emotional mess, and she always seems to say the right thing.

We have laughed together, cried together, shopped together (I had to throw that in), vacationed together.....and much, much more.

This month she is turning "21". In honor of her birthday I thought this tribute to her would be fitting.

I love you Moni.....here's to another 50 years of friendship!!!

"A friend is someone who knows
the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the
words." Unknown
-LW

2 comments:

Monica Hassas said...

Leah - what can i say? I already told you on the phone. Reading this still brings tears to my eyes and I know you are not surprised about that! LOL From the bottom of my heart, thank you. xoxo

Kellee said...

How did we ALL know that this would make Moni cry? LOL When I was reading it I was thinking, "oh boy, Moni is going be be crying for sure"! But we love you for it, Moni.

Awesome post, Leah!

 
Clicky Web Analytics